This article was originally written in October 2009 for Plugged In Lawyer, a blog about social media for lawyers.
How many lawyers does it take to put up a wordpress.com site? Only one and it’s you, if you follow the simple videos outlined below. These videos show you how to set up all the pieces that I personally think you need to get your wordpress.com site up and ready to roll. These videos and $35, that is.
So whip yourself up a latte, roll up your sleeves, put on a little Radio Margaritaville and let’s get going. Reviewing these videos will take about 40 minutes, but it won’t hurt a bit. I promise.
- Choosing A Theme
- Mapping Your Existing Domain Name (register your name with Go Daddy first)
- Creating A Static Front Page
- Customizing Your Header Image
- Understanding Widgets
- Adding An About Me & Other Static Pages
- Using Text Widgets
- Adding Categories & Tags
- Configuring The RSS Links Widget
- Using The Pages Widget (if your theme doesn’t have page tabs built into the design)
- Adding The Recent Posts Widget
- Choosing Your Discussion Settings
- Choosing Your Reading Options
- Creating A Gravatar
- Understanding Your Dashboard
- WordPress for Blackberry
- WordPress for iPhone
- Understanding Your Stats
- Moderating Comments
- Writing & Publishing A Post
- Embedding YouTube Videos
- Introducing Poll Daddy
- Adding Polls To Your Posts
- Creating Excerpts & Using The Read More Tag
- Proofreading Posts
Sharing Your Content
- Using The Box.net Widget (for sharing documents and files in your sidebar)
- Importing Your Blog To Facebook
- Importing Your Twitter Updates To Your Blog
There you go! Go forth and strut your stuff on the world wide web.